Friday 16 April 2010

Lucifer's Dream Box

The legendary Bill Hicks referred to the television as 'Lucifer's Dream Box'. Families just don't seem to spend enough time with each other anymore and instead congregate around this device, muttering no words to each other except perhaps the occasional 'pass the remote' or 'change the channel'.

For my individual project I want to try and make people aware of this. I am going to be filming a music featurette on Tessa Weaver aka 'Bucklemunki'. Tessa has been an MC, DJ & producer for a number of years while juggling motherhood and her passion for music. While many people hold a stereotypical view of single mothers being daytime TV addicts, Tessa a Mum of 4, threw out her TV a few years ago. Instead opting to bring music into her children's lives, getting recording equipment and having her kids help out and get involved in her music claiming it has brought them closer. I have known Tess for a few years now and I feel that she will be a highly inspirational subject to, not just single mums, but also anyone of any age who is interested in music. We want to inspire people to stop congregating around the television set watching mind-numbing programmes, get your creative juices flowing!

I will be constructing an interview with Tess and will also be hoping to film her everyday life, with her children, working on music projects, jamming with friends to try to get a grasp on WHO Tessa Weaver is. I also hope to finish off on a live gig, giving the documentary something to work towards. With Tessa's permission I will be using some of her music to show off her artistic talents. I hope to film them in the style of something that may be seen late night on 4music. Mixing interviews with performances and narration from the interviewer, here is an example from 4music Favorites on indie artist Jamie T. Bit of a shame the sound is out of sync with the picture but I think this is a good example of the kind of style of documentary I want to make.



I'm very excited to be doing a project like this, I like the thought of doing a documentary but being able to incorporate music into it too. I have known Tess for a few years and think she will be a great subject to document. Because we both know each other I feel we will both be at ease with interviewing.

Here are a few videos Tessa 'Bucklemunki' has uploaded onto Youtube of her music. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment