Wednesday 19 May 2010

Bye bye 1st year...


"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him"

A poignant quote that has certainly helped me along in my first year of study. Last Friday we went over to Paintworks to go through everyone's individual projects. We had to choose a selection of group and individual projects to be included in a 45 minute show-reel to be shown at the Little Theatre in Bath on Wednesday night. The selection process was pain-stakingly long as we had to deduct certain people's efforts. Memories of being picked last for the sports team were playing heavy in my mind and unfortunately I was the only person at the work shop who didn't have anything chosen to be included in the show-reel. That was really hard to digest. It felt as though my efforts over the year weren't good enough and made me question my abilities. However, I had to shake those negative thoughts. This is a cruel business to be getting in to and this kind of thing will happen from time to time. In retrospect it has made me want to work harder in my second year. I have come so far and have learnt so much since September. Given that I had never studied media before doing this course I feel that my skills have improved and I have started to get my head around thinking like a film-maker. I obviously still have lots of room for improvement, more attention to detail is needed and I need to raise my game in terms of time-management.

In reflection of my individual project there are a few pointers I need to bear in mind.


  • Framing while interviewing (I did try to set up the framing so that Tess was slightly off centre as I didn't want it to look like she was being put on the spot. I will try to concentrate on better framing next time.)
  • Mic needed to be closer when performing acoustic set (When doing the sound check I thought it was picking up the sound ok but later on in post-production it is evident that it is quite quiet.)
  • And Tripod in shot!! (Whoops, really should have noticed that while filming, school boy error...)
I am looking forward to getting involved in filming projects over the summer as I now feel more confident in my abilities. I feel that the 2nd year of university is going to advance my abilities even further and I look forward to learning new skills. A big thank you to Mike Johnston for being a great tutor over our first year, I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment