Saturday 8 May 2010

Lucifer's Dream Box Productions...The filming stages Day 2

An early start for day 2 of filming the Bucklemunki. Unfortunately the weather was somewhat overcast for filming in the beautiful Morrab Gardens but we decided to give it a go anyway. We set up on their band stand, audio levels all set, batteries charged, SD cards clear... Just about to press record... Turns out, the council decided to repaint the band stand on that day, so we had to move. Not a problem though as we found a great spot to film an acoustic performance and the sun finally broke through! It turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day. The backdrop of the sub-tropical plants looked awesome and the mic also picked up the birds singing away while Tess did the same. I'm really pleased with the acoustic performances, I think they'll look and sound great. I know that Tess was very nervous about performing an acoustic set in a public space but she did a great job and has since said that her confidence levels have been boosted.

Once this was all done we decided it was time for lunch, a Cornish pasty was certainly in order! Then we found another quiet spot in Morrab to do a 2nd interview. Basically using most of the questions I asked her at her house the day before but giving her the chance to elaborate on certain things she may have felt she forgot to mention. Then as the Cornish weather always seems to change at the drop of a beat, the wind picked up and the rain started spitting so we decided to head to Tess' to film her doing typical Mum stuff, preparing dinner.

Having already filmed a cookery show as part of the uni course I had a basic idea of what shots work well. Trying to keep Tess relaxed in front of the camera I got her to talk me through what she was doing, as though she were on a cookery show! This was enjoyable to film but a little bit difficult with lighting as there were to big sources of natural light coming through from opposite sides of the kitchen.

It was then time to serve up dinner and have the kids sat round the table to enjoy their chili con carne! I felt a little bit like I was intruding being stood there with a camera while they were eating dinner but the children were all great, well behaved and I'm grateful for them letting me film them!

So day 2 has come to an end and has been as successful as day 1. I'm really pleased with how things are going and I have the majority of my footage done. I'm going to meet up with Tess tomorrow in case there is anything we may have forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment